Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits are the perfect biscuit for a Sunday morning. There is time to fry the bacon, grate the cheese and go out the garden to snip off some fresh chives. I mentioned morning, but these biscuits travel well into supper time served with soup or salad.
I realize this makes two biscuits recipes in one week, but I was so happy with the outcome of both the recipe, the rave reviews from friends and family and the pictures, that I had to post it.
Sometimes writing a blog is overwhelming, because there is so much more behind the scenes than a non-blogger might realize. There are those miraculous times when a simple post is magic the first time around and I grab a quick photo, write a few words and it heads to the top five most popular posts.
Then there are the times I work very hard to test and perfect a recipe, perhaps in three rounds and taking hundreds of photos, only to come up short and not be happy about the work. Frustration can set in, because the blog becomes a job with an unrelenting boss (me).
This was one of those days where I just happened to be making a family breakfast and while not really intending to post yet another biscuit recipe, it all worked. The day was sunny. The chives in my garden were flowering and needed to be harvested.
This was my first year growing chives. I had no idea I would look out into my herb garden and see beautiful purple flowers, which by the way are also edible. Once the chive plant flowers, cut down to about two inches. The plant may need to be divided. It’s very hearty, grows in full sun and likes cold weather. We have a very cool Spring, and the chives went crazy, growing quickly. I now need some more ideas for chives, as they are flourishing.
If you have a favorite chive recipe, drop me a line. Also, do you have a favorite type of biscuit or one you would like to see me make? Drop me a comment with your biscuit wish and I’ll see what I can do.
Use crisp bacon. Pat biscuit dough down in the bowl. Cut with a biscuit cutter.
Make this Gluten free with this popular gluten free recipe that has been kitchen tested. Just add the bacon, chives and cheddar.
Here are more delicious biscuits recipes from Spinach Tiger.
Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits for a Sunday Morning
- 2 cups Lily White or soft wheat all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt cubed, frozen
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 crispy pieces of bacon crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup full fat buttermilk
- mix dry ingredients together in large bowl that has a wide flat bottom. A wooden salad bowl works well.
- Add in cubes of butter. Working with your hands, incorporate butter into flour or use a pastry blending tool. I use my hands because it's kid friendly and kids often help.
- Add in bacon, cheese.
- Add in buttermilk, Mix with spoon. Use a little extra flour only if needed to form into a dough mound.
- Pat down with palm of hand. Cut biscuits.
- Place biscuits in cast iron frying pan, touching (or baking stone) and bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Brush with melted butter out of the oven.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo