The Creative Cooking Crew challenged us this month to a triple-Decker sandwich and that is how kale biscuits with bacon, beets and blue cheese was born.
The whole idea of a triple decker sandwich takes me back to childhood, deli’s, and club sandwiches. Club sandwiches always had bacon, and usually turky and tomato, three pieces of bread and cute tooth picks keeping each triangle together. I loved them.
While I no longer eat big fat club sandwiches, I still love bacon. My dilemma came from the challenge requirements. The ingredients must start with the same letter. So I started with bacon, which led to beets, which led to blue cheese, which led to biscuits. I even included butter lettuce. I got all my B’s in order and piled high, resulting in a crunchy sandwich on a soft, fluffy biscuit.
I kept the beets raw and crispy. I decided to put a twist on the biscuit and added raw kale, which gives it a pretty green sprinkling. Bacon sandwiches have to have mayonnaise. I made blue cheese mayonnaise to keep up with the B’s. It’s a great flavor combination.
This is one good bite of a biscuit sandwich. Crunchy, smoky bacon, earthy raw beets (aren’t they pretty), sultry blue cheese.
Kale Biscuits Sandwich with Bacon, Beets and Blue Cheese Mayonaise
- 6 Kale biscuits
- 6 pieces butter Lettuce
- 12 pieces crispy bacon
- 12 slices of raw beets
- 6 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoon blue cheese
- 2 cups soft wheat flour or all purpose
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped raw kale
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- pinch baking soda
- Layer mayonnaise, lettuce, bacon, beets.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Whisk well.
- Add in kale. Mix well.
- Add in butter, and mix with pastry blender or hands until you have small pea size pieces.
- Add pinch of baking soda to buttermilk.
- Add in buttermilk and mix with wooden spoon. Dough will be sticky.
- Flour hands and pat down. Use extra large cutter and make six biscuits.
- Bake on cast iron or cookie sheet at 450 for 16 minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo