This is not an ordinary sweet potato dish, nor is it an ordinary lasagna. It’s a combination of sweet potatoes, four cheeses, shallots, and thyme. I baked this in a cast iron pan because I wanted to be able to cut this into wedges and serve as a side dish, but you can bake it in a regular lasagna pan.
Sweet potato lasagna has made it’s way to this site before. This post made with homemade buckwheat noodles gets so much traffic that I decided to do bring you a optional ricotta and goat cheese version. This might just top that first version, because it’s a little creamier and the tang of the goat cheese is very complimentary to sweet potatoes.
Easy enough to make, but it didn’t hurt to have some help from Oxo. I used the Oxo handheld mandolin to slice were sweet potatoes, but a sharp knife will do the same.
The best thing about this one is how easy it is. It has a lock on it (which is good for me) and three positions, which is enough for just about anything in the kitchen. I used the mandolin for this potato soup, and it worked like a charm slicing thicker potatoes and thinner leeks.
Four Cheese Sweet Potato Lasagna is unique Fall expression of something Southern, something Italian.
- Extra large cast iron pan or lasagna baking dish.
- 1 package lasagna noodles (you will have noodles left over)
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup goat cheese, divided
- ½ cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated (can substitute pecorino)
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- sea salt
- black pepper
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Boil water in a large pot for lasagna noodles. Cook 3 minutes less than suggested time. Drain. Set aside.
- Slice potatoes with mandolin at a medium thickness.
- You can either boil or roast the sweet potatoes. Boil slices in pot of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Drain and paper towel dry. You can roast in oven at 375 for 10 minutes, turning once. I prefer roasted.)
- In a small frying pan, saute butter and shallots until softened.
- Mix ricotta cheese and ¼ cup goat cheese with parsley, one egg, salt and pepper, nutmeg, half of the parmigiano reggiano cheese.
- Assemble: Layer pasta, ricotta cheese, sliced sweet potatoes, top with a small amount of the reserved shallots, pinch fresh thyme, mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of goat cheese randomly.
- You will make three layers.
- The final layer will be covered lasagna noodle, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, sweet potatoes and fresh thyme.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese. Bake another 10 minutes.