Pumpkin Halloween Brownies
A Halloween take on Pumpkin Brownies, using pumpkin, maple and red food coloring.
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter 2 1/2 sticks
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chops optional
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 3/4 canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice recipe hereor store bought
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- red food coloring gel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Will fit a 9 x 13 baking dish (spray with cooking spray) or use a parchment paper
Melt butter over medium heat. It was suggested in original recipe to melt and brown, but that's not necessary. You can do that if you like. I didn't brown the butter.
Add sugar and cocoa. Mix well.
Add eggs one at a time. Mix well.
Add flour and butter. Mix until just incorporated.
Add in chocolate chips.
Cream Cheese Swirl.
Cream cheese must be at room temperature or it will be hard to incorporate.
Mix pumpkin with a teaspoon of pumpkin spice.
Add food coloring to pumpkin until a deep red. It will lighten up once mixed with cream cheese.
Mix cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla paste, sugar and maple syrup until very smooth.
At this point, add in more food coloring to get desired color.
Pour brownie mixture into baking dish.
Pour cream cheese over the dish and use a knife to swirl.
Bake for 40-45 mins. Cool completely before cutting.