Healthy Moist Lemon Cake Recipe
Almond Flour and coconut flour come together to make the most delicious moist lemon cake, paleo, low carb and diabetic friendly. Makes a one-layer cake, either 8 inch or 9 inch.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Lemon Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour 280 grams I use this or recipe here
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup Swerve confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons milk cream, or almond milk (I used cream)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 8 small lemons for juice or 1 full cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon zest from lemons reserve some for topping cake
Lemon Glaze for One Layer Cake
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar I use sugar free Swerve
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar I use swerve
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon Cake Instructions
Grease a one layer cake pan. Can use a 8 inch or 9 inch. I used a 9 inch.
Zest all lemons. Reserve some zest for topping cake later.
Rub zest into sugar.
Mix flours, sugar, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum together. Set aside.
Mix eggs, milk, oil, zest, lemon juice together.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Mix just till incorporated.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Make sure to check at 30 minutes. (see notes)
If making a mini triple cake, use three 6 inch cake pans.
Use Parchment for the bottoms and spray the sides with baking spray or grease pans with coconut oil or oil of choice.
You can choose to make a light glaze or a thicker icing/frosting. There are instructions for both. You can use regular confectioner's sugar instead of Swerve if you desire.
Baking Times: On various occasions, my cake baked a little differently. At 40 minutes it was golden brown, but other times a little darker than I wanted. You might consider checking at 30 minutes and putting a loose tin foil sheet over the time if the cake is already golden brown.
1/8th of cake is 5 net carbs.
I recently added xanthan gum to the recipe as it is so moist, it falls apart, but you can skip.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 35g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g