Cowboy Caviar with Black Eyed Peas
A perfect starter for tacos, made with black beans, black eyed peas, pickled onion
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can black eyed peas
- 1 red bell pepper (or a mix of colors) small dice
- 3 tablespoons pickled onion small dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper or serrano
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado diced (optional)
Pickled Red Onion
- 1/2 red onion sliced into half moons
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns or some black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic cut in half
Rinse beans in colander in cold water. Set aside.
Dice peppers, onions in very small dice.
Mix beans, peppers, onions.
Toss with olive oil.
The pickled onions may be enough vinegar. If not add a teaspoon or two.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add avocado right before serving.
Slice into thin half moons and place in colander.
Pour boiling water over onion.
Put vinegar in jar with sugar and peppercorns.
Put onion in jar. Will be ready in 30 minutes. Dice fine for the bean dip.