Cooking Italy - Pasta all’ Amatriciana, Not Just Another Dish of Spaghetti
I had Pasta all'Amatriciana in Rome, and this recipe is just as good.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 ”slice pancetta cut into 1”strips (1/2”wide)
- 1 1/2 cups Italian tomatoes diced,drained of juice
- 1/2 small dried hot chili pepper or 1 t chile pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or taste
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 tablespoon Pecorino cheese freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano freshly grated
Saute onion in oil and butter on medium until it's pale softened, almost golden. Add pancetta, cooking for about 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chili pepper, salt and simmer for 25 minutes. Taste and correct for salt and pepper.
Toss pasta with sauce then add both cheeses.