Apple Bacon Jam or How to Make a Bacon Appetizer that Rocks the Party
Apple bacon jam, an amazing savory appetizer with a touch of sweetness, good for crostini, pairing with cheese, crackers, or adding to dishes for extra flavor.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time1 hour hr
Total Time1 hour hr 10 minutes mins
Author: Angela Roberts
- 1 pound bacon sliced into two inch slices
- 3 granny smith apples peeled, cored, roughly chopped
- 2 large shallots or 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 cup strong coffee I used shot of espresso
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more as your taste desires
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
In heavy bottomed pot or pan, fry bacon until crisp. Pour all but about a tablespoon of bacon grease out. Remove bacon.
Add in apples, shallots or onions, garlic, cayenne pepper, vinegar, brown sugar and saute until apples are soft.
Add bacon back in. Add maple syrup and cook down until it looks like a compote, about 45 minutes. I only cooked it very low heat for one hour.
Pour off any bacon grease. This part is important.
Process in food processor, but not too much. Pulse it and check to see that you can visibly see the bacon, as shown in the picture. Store in refrigerator up to a week.
Note: If when cooking the compote down, it becomes too dry, add in some water.
This is better when left in refrigerator for 24 hours. The flavors meld.