Melted Collard Greens with Pancetta
Collard Greens, the powerhouse cruciferous vegetable can be made easily in 15 minutes and is a great side.
- 1 bunch fresh collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil you could use less
- small hunk pancetta when chopped makes 2 tablespoons
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup meat chicken or pork broth (you could use water)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes to taste
Prepare collard greens, by washing, rinsing, drying. Cut out ribs in center and then slice in ribbons.
Fry pancetta in olive oil on medium heat, until fat is rendered.
Add garlic, saute about a minute.
Add in chopped greens and ¼ cup water or broth. Simmer until the water evaporates, add another ¼ cup. Kale will be braised, but still have body when done. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
You could toss with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice as an option.