Black Bottom Cupcakes
Dark batter cupcake filled with sweet cream cheese and chocolate chips, adapted from Desserts from the Loveless Cafe by Alisa Huntsman.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
Cream Cheese Topping
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
Cream Cheese Filling
Add eggs to cream cheese mixture, and fold in chocolate chips.
Beat cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar to be well blended, but not so much that the cream cheese becomes warm. It's easier to allow cream cheese to come to room temperature and add in sugar and beat lightly. Set Aside.
In a separate large bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda salt and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar.
Mix 1 1/2 cups water with vinegar and vanilla.
Pour half of this water mixture and all the oil into the dry ingredients, and mix well. Add rest of the water, just until mixed.
Fill cupcake liners with 1/4 cup batter, top with 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes (Check at 20 minutes and each five minutes after).
Cool completely in pans before removing.