Split Pea Soup with Portobello Mushrooms
Vegetarian split pea soup with portabello mushrooms (adapted from 1998 Food and Wine, Quick From Scratch Italian)
- 2 cups green split peas
- 9 cups water
- 2 Onions diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Celery ribs diced
- Handful of lemon basil OR fresh tarragon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves diced, 1 garlic clove for croutons
- lemon juice of 1/2 lemon and lemon zest
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms diced (no stems)
- dash crushed red pepper
- bay leaf
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt divided
- grated pecorino to top soup
In heavy bottom soup pot sauté carrots, onions, garlic in some olive oil until soft about 5 minutes.
Add peas, herbs, lemon juice, zest and water. Reduce heat until peas are tender about 35 minutes. Add 1 1/2 salt, simmer 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaf. Adjust liquid level.
Sauté mushrooms in olive oil 5-10 minutes season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, add to soup.
Serve with croutons and grated pecorino cheese.
Take crusty bread, cut into large chunky cubes, brush LIGHTLY with olive oil, roast at 400 until crispy. Remove from oven and immediately rub with garlic.