Doug's Cold Weather Crock Pot Chili
5 Bean, 3 meat chili with a few special ingredients, resulting in perfect creamy blend of meat, heat and beans.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 30 mins
- 1 can black Beans see note on beans
- 1 can kidney Beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 can red Beans
- 1 can pinto peans
- 1 ground chuck need a fatty beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 extra large orange pepper can use green, or red
- 1 large can diced tomatoes petite dice is best
- 2 large onions diced
- 1 red chili pepper seeded and diced (or any pepper of your choice)
- 1 chili starter mix option or the following seasonings:
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to your taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- dash cinnamon this is not in chili starter mix
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons masa use for thickness, if needed
Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat. in small pieces in frying pan. Maintain the fat of the meat. This will add flavor!
Rinse the beans with water to reduce the sodium; however you can put the cans in as is with the juice.
Put in crock pot. Add tomatoes, peppers, onion and seasonings, except the masa.
If you don't use a chili starter kit, use the spice ingredients that followed. Taste and adjust to your own liking.
Sprinkle the masa after the chili has cooked for 2 hours.
Continue to cook in low setting of crock pot for 5 more hours.
Note: It's not necessary to cook the chili this long, but cook the chili at least four hours.
Serve with grated cheddar cheese and sour cream, if desired. I find this chili so rich due to the masa, that sour cream isn't necessary.
Note on beans: You need the to use kidney beans and black beans, but feel free to mix your beans as you please.