Italian Potato Salad with Pesto
Boiled Potatoes with a Pesto, served at room temperature makes the most delicious Italian Potato Salad.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1 cup Basil Pesto
- !Basil Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh picked basil leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons starchy water from boiled potatoes
- 3 tablespoon pine nuts or roasted salted pistachios
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped before processing
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For completion by hand
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 tablespoon butter optional
Scrub the potatoes clean. Remove any parts of skin that you would not want to eat.
Cut in large bite sized pieces. If small, cut in half only.
Put in large pot with cold water 2 inches above potatoes.
Bring to boil. Turn down to a simmer, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Wash basil and pat with paper towels. Process garlic, pine nuts (or walnuts), basil, olive oil for processor until you have a creamy consistency. At this point add in some hot starchy water, a tablespoon at a time to thin down just a bit.
Add in the rest of the ingredients by hand, first adding in all cheese until it is really smooth. Then add butter in at the end. You can choose to skip the butter if you want to.
Toss potatoes with pesto while they are still warm.