Moist Lemon Cake, Low Carb, Sugar Free, Made with Almond Flour
This healthy moist lemon cake recipe, made with almond flour, coconut flour, avocado oil and a whole bunch of lemons was the first grain free cake I ever made.
I didn’t expect it to work out. I knew this lemon cake would work because it has regular flour, but could we love a grain free cake?
I wanted to explore the keto diet plan and low carb baking. I wanted a cake that wouldn’t spike blood sugar and would be good for breakfast. I wanted a gluten free, grain free cake that I would serve to company. This is that cake.
I learned a few things about baking with almond flour when making this moist lemon cake.
Almond flour browns more quickly than other flours, so keep your temperature at 350. The cake will appear more brown than other cakes, but that’s okay.
It’s highly recommended that you weigh your almond flour. 1 cup is 112 grams. This recipe calls for 280 grams.
You need a lot of flavoring when using almond flour. Using a regular all-purpose flour, a few lemons would make one heck of a lemon cake. However, the almond flour absorbs a lot of the flavor and it is absolutely necessary to use a full cup of lemon juice, which means about 8 to 10 lemons.
Swerve sweetener is the next best thing to using sugar without the calories, carbs or spike in blood sugar making this moist lemon cake suitable for folks with diabetes.
This is a very moist lemon cake, better when refrigerated, unlike most cakes. It’s also addicting and good for breakfast.
I made the lemon cake as a one layer cake pan. You could make it as a pound cake. I put a glaze on it using the swerve confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice. You can top it with a sugar free frosting.
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour (280 grams) I use this or recipe here
- ¼ cup coconut flour I use this
- 1 cup Swerve confectioners sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons milk, cream, or almond milk (I used cream)
- ½ cup avocado oil (can use coconut oil)
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 8 small lemons)
- zest from lemons (reserve some for topping cake)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar (I use sugar free Swerve)
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (I use swerve)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Zest all lemons. Reserve some zest for topping cake later.
- Rub zest into sugar.
- Mix flours, sugar, salt, baking soda together. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, milk, olive oil, zest, lemon juice together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix just till incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- If making a mini triple cake, use three 6 inch cake pans.
- Use Parchment for the bottoms and spray the sides with baking spray or grease pans with coconut oil or oil of choice.
- Mix lemon juice with confectioners sugar.
- If not thick enough, you can add in cream or butter.
- Whip butter first. add in confectioner's sugar and then add in lemon juice.