I’m not a hot wings fan in the typical sense. However, I do love crispy, oven fried, flavorful spice-rubbed wings.
In this recipe, I used a homemade aromatic spice rub of coriander seed, fennel seed, Tellicherry peppercorns and sea salt. They were toasted on top of the stove and then ground somewhere between fine and coarse.
Coriander and fennel seed are known to have many healing properties. Coriander is one of the stars of this spice rub is an anti-inflammatory, and has positive health benefits for balancing blood sugar and lowering cholesterol levels just for a start. Fennel is well known to help with digestive problems and both have been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. When put together, the flavor is magical. Healthy Party Food!
This is one of my favorite spice rubs and it’s very diverse.
- Grind it coarse and put it in olive oil for a sultry bread dip.
- Grind it finely and make a vinaigrette with olive oil and lemon.
- Mix in ground beef for amazing burgers or mix it into ground beef for this popular recipe.
- Marinate feta cheese cubes.
- Use it as a rub for pork chops or a roast chicken.
Toast the seeds with the salt on top of the stove in a dry frying pan for a about a minute. If you’re going to add in the optional red chili flakes, don’t toast those, put them in at the end.
When making wings, make sure they are dry. You can add a little olive oil or apply the rub dry. Let sit for 30 minutes out of the refrigerator. Bake in hot oven at 425º F for 10 minutes on each side. You might even want to drizzle a little honey.
This naturally is great for parties and a perfect healthy, Paleo friendly choice. Easy to make ahead, and they warm up quickly. Serve on a platter with orange slices, which is especially nice if you’ve pumped up the heat with some red chile flakes. Drizzled honey is another option which helps cut into the heat.
What’s YOUR favorite kind of wings? Leave me a comment and let me know.
Please subscribe and stay connected.
Wings around the Web
Sesame Wings from Lil Luna
Baked Parmesan Garlic from Rasa Malaysia
Korean Barbecue Wings from Eat the Love
Crockpot Sticky Wings from Damn Delicious
Salt and Pepper Wings with Dill Pickle Dip from Recipes Food and Cooking
Kung Pao Chicken Wings from Woks of Life
- 1 pound chicken wings, each cut in half
- olive oil
- Coriander fennel spice rub (recipe below)
- honey for drizzling (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed, toasted
- ½ teaspoon tellicherry peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon red chile pepper (optional)
- Pat dry chicken wings.
- Rub small amount olive oil.
- Cover with spice rub.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with honey while still warm.
- Turn over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Put all ingredients in dry frying pan (except chili flakes). Toast for about a minute, shaking pan, careful not to scorch.
- Add chili flakes which is optional.
- Place in spice mill, mini food processor or magic bullet and process to a medium grind.