Apple Cheddar Rosemary Biscuits. Made on a whim on my birthday just to try out my new oven that I talked about in my last post. I am simply overjoyed about. I was inspired by this picture I put on instagram.
I have made over twenty different biscuit variations, and guess what?
That is crazy, because I never even saw myself making a single “from scratch” biscuit in my life. Just like I never saw myself liking cats, but now there are two rescues in my walkout basement that I can’t get enough of.
I never saw myself living in Tennessee or doing farm girl things.
I never ever thought I would be a writer for a magazine. I not only wrote Nashville’s bucket list in a Nashville Arts & Entertainment Magazine, I did a piece on our restaurants. You can see 2015’s on line here, and the current 2016 just hit the shelves.
I never saw myself cooking for a living, or holding a camera, or using cast iron pans.
I never saw myself head over heels for a friend’s children, but if you have spent anytime here, you know all about these twin boys who have been very popular cooking with me on my youtube channel.
I never saw myself working from home because I’m way too social to not be with a group of people every day, but here I am all by myself, yet reaching millions of people. That one still seems surreal to me.
I never saw myself as a DIY type, yet I repaired my own drywall last week.
I never saw my husband as Black & Decker man. He’s not, he just surprised both of us and become a Ridgid man and he just bought a garage full of Ridgid tools, which he actually knows how to use!
I never saw myself with straight hair, but then the flat iron was invented.
I never thought I would love vacuuming until I bought this
I never saw myself as an artist, yet being creative is the only way I feel normal.
In the meantime, I’ll keep making biscuits on cast iron pans I never thought I would use in a town I never thought I would live in, with a man I knew I would marry from the first week we met.
How about you? What has happened to you in your life that has taken you by surprise? Fill in your own “I never myself…”
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced apples
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or soft wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ to 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 or 425 if you have true convection oven.
- Dice 4 tablespoons butter into cubes and place in freezer.
- Use one tablespoon to saute apples.
- Dice apples (you can leave skin on if using apple such as gala)
- Saute for five minutes in just enough butter to soften. Remove from pan and cool.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, rosemary. Whisk well.
- Add grated cheese to flour mixture.
- Add cold butter and either using hands or a pastry cutter (or fork) blend butter into flour mixture, but only until butter is pea sized. Do not smear butter into flour. As the butter melts, the biscuits become more flaky in oven.
- Add buttermilk up to ¾ cup and mix with wooden spoon. You want a wet, shaggy dough. Use all the remaining buttermilk if dough seems too dry.
- Pat down into about an 8 inch disc and cut out approximately 8 medium sized biscuits.
- See this post for tips on biscuit making.
- Place biscuits on cold cast iron griddle, pan on on baking sheet, touching.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.